These are talks I have given on various technologies. They were originally PowerPoint decks, but the items below link to Google Docs versions of them.
Unit and Integration Tests
- jUnit testing can encompass 'unit tests', which address isolated code modules, and 'integration tests', which test how modules interact with external resources such as databases, the network and a filesystem. This was a talk I gave to the CareDiscovery project developer team at Thomson-Reuters Healthcare & Sciences in Evanston, IL. It was to help clarify the differences between the two types of jUnit testing, and the manner in which they are run. (2011-03-28)
Development Infrastructures Changes to Support Agile Processes
- This presentation outlines steps that the CareDiscovery development team at Thomson-Reuters Healthcare & Sciences (Evanston, IL) were taking to adopt agile processes. Distribute Version Control Systems, Mercurial, Maven and Continuous Integration Systems are covered. (2010-07-28)
Upgrading Maven from Version 1 to 2
- This was a presentation to the CareDiscovery development team at Thomson-Reuters Healthcare & Sciences following the conversion of all projects from Maven 1 to Maven 2. Issues covered include: repository layout changes, standardized project layouts and lifecycles, the new plugin architecture, the coordinate system, public repositories, repository servers, pom.xml, dependency scoping and resolution, and techniques for customizing builds. (2010-08-12)
Introducing Spring JDBC
- This is a brief introduction to Spring JDBC given to the CareDiscovery development team at Thomson-Reuters Healthcare & Sciences as part of a series of discussions for considering technologies to include in the next generation platform. (2011-04-22)
Open Source News
- This is a proposal I made to the Chicago Tribune for an open, public API to access their news content. It was made in response to a challenge made to Tribune employees by management to come up with a game-changing new direction for the news.